Birth doula and Portrait photographer for families in the Tampa Bay, Florida area
You might be wondering what a Birth doula is, here’s a little history lesson. The word “Doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves.” A doula is now referred as a trained and experienced childbirth professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and her partner during her pregnancy, birth and postpartum period.
Why do families hire a doula?
Numerous clinical studies have found that a Birth doulas’ presence at birth:
- Tend to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- Reduces the need for Pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- Reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
There are so many more benefits that go way beyond your birth. My services begin as soon as the contract is signed and the retainer has been collected. You’ll benefit from my knowledge and resources to help you navigate throughout your pregnancy, birth and new life as parents!
Families who receive doula support:
- Feel more secure and cared for
- Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- Have greater success with breastfeeding
- Have greater self-confidence
- Have less postpartum depression
What should I ask a doula during a interview?
- Is she experienced?
- Is she available around your due month?
- Does she have back-up?
- Is she certified?
- How will you work with and support my husband/partner?